"At the dawn of creation, the rakshasa openly ruled all the world. Greatest among them was one called Ravana, acknowledged by even the most egotistical rakshasa as their rightful king. He had been born into the world many times, growing in power with each incarnation, until finally he brought all mortal races under the power of rakshasa.
However, Ravana's rule was destined to end. He overlooked one particular mortal hero, who was reincarnated time and again, thwarting Ravana's schemes whenever he appeared. Finally, as Ravana was closing his grasp around the last few creatures who resisted his rule, this hero was born into the world one more time.
Under the name Ramachandra, this hero battled Ravana's allies and armies, overcoming them every time with his lethal archery and iron courage. What followed were battles that lasted years and filled the oceans with blood, but finally Ramachandra's bowmanship overcame Ravana's might, and the rakshasa lord was slain.
Rakshasas hold that when they die, they are judged by their great king Ravana. Those who possessed great power and cunning are reborn as even mightier individuals, and the greatest rakshasa will someday return as Ravana. In fact, before his last battle Ravana foretold that he would be reborn one more time into the world, prepared to enslave it forever with his wickedness. But he also warned that his ancient nemesis would return, wielding a flaming sword and mounted on a white horse as noble as himself.
The Complete Guide to Rakshasas takes you into this world of ancient myth and unbridled ambition in a journey where each adventure is merely one episode in an eons-spanning quest. Become a rakshasa undertaking grand schemes in the hopes of returning as Ravana. Hunt Ramachandra in whatever form he may take. Or simply take the reins of power and rule for a century or two . . .
- True revelations of the history, lore, and goals of the malevolent rakshasa.
- Rules for playing rakshasa and yaksha (half-rakshasa) as player characters.
- Rules and background for those who would defeat the rakshasa: the new yogi base class, the Hunter of the Firstborn prestige class, and organizations such as the Order of the Asthra and The Shattered Gate.
- Extensive DM guidelines on how to play a rakshasa to maximum effect. How do reincarnation, immortality, infinite patience, and absolute deceit manifest in game terms?
- New equipment, feats, magic items, and monsters to round out the rakshasa pantheon.
- And much more, all of it compatible with the 3.5 revision!"