"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Brandywine Star - Vol.1 No.1, Mage Flame

One of the worst things that can happen when buying from eBay other than  never getting the item is when the item is damaged or incomplete and was not  described as such. I recently got a pile of d20 books (please no that is what you get for buying d20 stuff) that had the edges covered with either soda spray, vomit, mold or something worse.

One of the best though is when there are things included that really did not  need to be there. I have had this happen more times than I can count but  three stand out right now but I am sure there are others I am just forgetting at the moment. One with Call of Cthulhu, one with Marvel Super Heroes and  the one that had this. I saw a copy of the ICE Middle Earth Campaign Guide  with a cheap BIN and bought it for the map as I had at one point hung mine and it had pin holes. When I got it I found the pictured item inside. I had  bought mine new so I know this was not supposed to be included.

The Brandywine Star from what I can tell appears to be a fan newsletter for  "The Fellowship" which was not part of ICE from what I can tell. It appears  to have been a fan club from back in the 1980's and may still be around but  am not sure. This was there initial offering and I have never seen another  copy of it anywhere. Noble Knight has an entry for #2 but it is listed as  sold out so they must have had one at some point. When I got it I thought it  was nice and figured I might be able to find more but never have.

I wish I could tell you more about it must most of the items I post about  have been packed away as I attempt to inventory items. I scan them and then  pack them away until such time as I can dedicate a proper space to all the gaming stuff I have accumulated. If anyone knows anything about this and/or  has copies of other issues I would love to hear about it.

I mentioned having similar experiences with CoC and MSH. With Call of Cthulhu  it was a second or third printing of the original box set. I opened it and  inside other than what should have been there was the book version of Cthulhu  by Gaslight. With Marvel Super Heroes it was a copy of the Basic Set and  inside it was the Ultimate Powers Book and Realms of Magic. I guess the books  I got recently weren't the end of the world after all!


Spell:

Mage Flame


Level: Second
Range: 6"
Duration: 12 Turns + 6 Turns/Level
Ares Effect: One Item/Level
Components: V,M
Casting Time: 4 Segments
Saving Throw: None

This spell enables the magic user to create a magical flame. This flame is  similar in some ways to the light effect of a Faerie Fire spell. When the  spell is cast the items willed to carry the flame by the caster will ignite  with a bright blue fire like flame.

The flame created need to be attached to the end of an item such as a torch  or staff but can also edge an item such as a sword or other weapon. There is  no limit to the size of the item the flame can be attached to and it will  adjust in size and effect accordingly. This flame can not be directly  attached to living creatures other than the caster.

The flame will provide light just as if it were a real flame. It will not use  oxygen though and will not produce smoke or heat. The light will also persist  underwater or in an environment where a normal flame would be extinguished.

Once an item has been imbued with mage flame the control of the mage flame is  granted to the person who is in control of the item. The wielder of the item  can distinguish the flam on command. They can also transfer the flame to  another item if desired simply by touching the two items and willing it. The  item that had the flame initially will lose it when this is done.

The material component for this spell is a small ball that will be made up of  sulfur, bat guano and a small lock of the caster hair. The ball is thrown  into the air and is consumed by the spell when the spell takes effect.

Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups  last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology  may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I  did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any  duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :)  Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If  anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in  advance and all I ask is proper credit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in 2002 a fella on this forum thread said there were 16 issues in total.

He also offered to put them up on a website, but never came back to the thread to say he'd done so.

Wymarc said...

Thanks for the information. Was that a Google find or did you remember there being discussion on it from back in the day. I am lucky any more to remember messages from last week! I guess now I have 15 more issues to find :)

Anonymous said...

It was Google. I was hoping to find something you may have missed, but that was the best I could come up with. :-(

Rinonvan said...

With Hobbit Day approaching I was reminiscing and did a search for the elusive 'Brandywine Star'. Not much online except this, http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=BrandywineStarFanzine, and your mention. It may please you to know that I was a member of "The Fellowship" and have what may be every issue released. If I can locate these, and copyright permitting, I will try to make them available.
Namárië,
Rinonvan

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed you are successful Rinonvan, it would be great to be able to see these.

Popular Posts