Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Heroes Magazine #3, The Pen Is Mightier
The third issue of Heroes is was a little bit of a let down for me from the previous two issues. There was a continuation of the ongoing article series on alien races for Lords of Creation. This has been in all three issues and looking back this might be something worth review by DMs if they want to expand their games with different races.
The only real gem in this issue was the Dueling rules for Lords of Creation by Tom Moldvay. It was presented as a pull out game but I think it could be adapted for other games. The rules are fairly detailed and since I have not had a chance to use them I am not sure how much they might slow a game down. They are still nice to have and it might even be something that could be played as a stand alone venture as more of a beer and pretzel type of game.
The magazine features a few other articles and though there is nothing that is terrible there is also nothing that stands out to make me say this is as good an issue as the other two I have reviewed previously. This is not to say that another reader may not find a hidden gem for their own uses.
- "Accessories for Agents: The Newest Devices from Q Division" by Greg Gordon
- "Alienating Yourself--Seven Science Fiction Races for Lords of Creation: Part Two" by Tom Moldvay
- "Creepy Critters: Insects for RuneQuest" by Sandy Petersen
- "James Bond 007: The History of the Game" by Gerry Klug
- "Careful Character Generation in Powers & Perils" by Richard L. Snider
- "Musketeers, Swashbucklers & Crimson Pirates: Dueling Rules for Lords of Creation" by Tom Moldvay
- "Adventures in the Forest Primeval: Exploring the Mystic Wood" by Matthew Pirrone
- "Weapon Masters of the Western Lands" by Richard L. Snider and David Kuijt
- "A Ship for RuneQuest: Waertagi Fastship" by Greg Stafford
- "Too Many Monsters" by Craig Barrett
- "How to S.C.I.M Successfully" (Review of S.C.I.M.M.A.R.S. computer game) by David Kuijt
- "Gaming My Way" by Quentin Long
- "What's What & Where's Where in Glorantha" by Steve List
- "Worldview: Republican Fallacies" by Hal Heydt
The Pen Is Mightier
Area of Effect: 6" Radius
Casting Time: 2 Segments
Saving Throw: Halves
When this spell is cast the magic user causes all in the area of effect to suffer damage. The amount of damage suffered will be determined by each victims lack of mental aptitude.
When the spell is cast DM will need to determine the Intelligence score of all in the area of effect. Each affected individual will then suffer damage based on their intelligence subtracted from 18. The damage will be equal to that number plus a d6 for each point of difference as well. The victim is entitled to a saving throw versus the d6 damage and if successful suffers half damage.
Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :) Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in advance and all I ask is proper credit.
The Bestiary portion of the Atlantean trilogy is another of the books that I have never sued for the system it was written for but it has...
From the back cover: "Ragnarok. The end of the world. The climactic battle of legend where Asgard falls and the heroes and go...
Published in 1980 by Dimension Six Inc. From the back cover: "Fantastic wizardry and fierce guardians defend the undergroun...
From the back of the Book: "They told me to kill Hitler! Innocent Dreamwarriors, drafted and shipped off to Europe to ...
From Back Cover: "This book is a reference for both players and referees. It includes essays on the Imperium and other int...
From the back cover: "Two-hundred and ninety-three powers times five ranges times eighteen power levels equals -- 26,370 di...
From the web: "You are in a world where Reed Richards did not live to become Mister Fantastic! Ben Grimm is the Thing, but he...
From the back cover: "Homo Sapiens Superior. Stinking muties. Blessed and cursed with super-human abilities, the ra...
From the back cover: "You've been through more in the last few weeks than most normal folks go through in a lifetime. From s...
From the back cover: "There's a government agent from Ottawa who looks like he's been attacked by a lawn mower. Th...