Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Heroes Magazine #3, The Pen Is Mightier
The third issue of Heroes is was a little bit of a let down for me from the previous two issues. There was a continuation of the ongoing article series on alien races for Lords of Creation. This has been in all three issues and looking back this might be something worth review by DMs if they want to expand their games with different races.
The only real gem in this issue was the Dueling rules for Lords of Creation by Tom Moldvay. It was presented as a pull out game but I think it could be adapted for other games. The rules are fairly detailed and since I have not had a chance to use them I am not sure how much they might slow a game down. They are still nice to have and it might even be something that could be played as a stand alone venture as more of a beer and pretzel type of game.
The magazine features a few other articles and though there is nothing that is terrible there is also nothing that stands out to make me say this is as good an issue as the other two I have reviewed previously. This is not to say that another reader may not find a hidden gem for their own uses.
- "Accessories for Agents: The Newest Devices from Q Division" by Greg Gordon
- "Alienating Yourself--Seven Science Fiction Races for Lords of Creation: Part Two" by Tom Moldvay
- "Creepy Critters: Insects for RuneQuest" by Sandy Petersen
- "James Bond 007: The History of the Game" by Gerry Klug
- "Careful Character Generation in Powers & Perils" by Richard L. Snider
- "Musketeers, Swashbucklers & Crimson Pirates: Dueling Rules for Lords of Creation" by Tom Moldvay
- "Adventures in the Forest Primeval: Exploring the Mystic Wood" by Matthew Pirrone
- "Weapon Masters of the Western Lands" by Richard L. Snider and David Kuijt
- "A Ship for RuneQuest: Waertagi Fastship" by Greg Stafford
- "Too Many Monsters" by Craig Barrett
- "How to S.C.I.M Successfully" (Review of S.C.I.M.M.A.R.S. computer game) by David Kuijt
- "Gaming My Way" by Quentin Long
- "What's What & Where's Where in Glorantha" by Steve List
- "Worldview: Republican Fallacies" by Hal Heydt
The Pen Is Mightier
Area of Effect: 6" Radius
Casting Time: 2 Segments
Saving Throw: Halves
When this spell is cast the magic user causes all in the area of effect to suffer damage. The amount of damage suffered will be determined by each victims lack of mental aptitude.
When the spell is cast DM will need to determine the Intelligence score of all in the area of effect. Each affected individual will then suffer damage based on their intelligence subtracted from 18. The damage will be equal to that number plus a d6 for each point of difference as well. The victim is entitled to a saving throw versus the d6 damage and if successful suffers half damage.
Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :) Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in advance and all I ask is proper credit.
From the web: "An adventure in the wilderness stronghold of a band of brigands that includes the background and statis...
From the inside cover, 1st paragraph: "I would guess that the whole idea behind the publishing of a magazine is that someone has...
From the web: The fourth and final supplement in Judges Guild's Wilderness series. It details the villages, castles, citadels, lair...
From the web: " Glimmerdrift Reaches is the second entire Traveller Sector produced by Judges Guild. The three-color map g...
From the web: The second supplement in Judges Guild's Wilderness series. It details the villages, castles, citadels, lairs, isla...
From the web: Columns: Jocular Judgements by Chuck Anshell 03 ...
From the web: " This book provides a basic, modularized map of a border fort (all Kelnore forts were designed to these...
From the web: This eight page publication from 1977 contained the following articles and items of interest. Jocular Judgements Shre...
From the web: Additional charts, rules and background data for Thunderhold and the Sunstone Caverns . The installment includes Rea...
From the back cover: "An Ancient Evil has overtaken a once holy shrine. Thus, a sleepy mountain hamlet becomes a focal point fo...