"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dungeon Geomorphs - TSR, Attribute Enhancement

The combined set of the Dungeon Geomorphs was something I loved as a DM way back when. If I needed to throw a dungeon together on the fly I could use these and make it easy on myself. It never failed that the players wanted to go someplace that I did not have a map made for.

Luckily I discovered them as the combined set. I would have hated to have cut up the individual sets and used them...but then again that is what they were made for weren't they. The original set I so diligently cut up all those years ago are long since lost except for a few stray pieces I still have floating around.

I am not sure of the timing on these compared to the early GW products as to which came first. The first set was released in 1976 so I would think these had to be first but you never know. Regardless these again were a huge time saver back in the day.

This is another example of something we take for common today. With all of the online dungeon mappers that are available it is easy to forget a time when maps were not so easy to produce. I know I have gone to the point of creating a bunch of random maps and saving them as PDFs so I never have a chance of not having one I have not sued before handy.

The only disadvantage to the combined set other than the collectability is the data that is included in the individual sets. Each of the three had small sample dungeons included. I have not had a chance to see them but they are said to include magic, monsters and NPC's that have never been reprinted anywhere. If anyone has any information on these I would love to hear about the.

Spell:

Attribute Enhancement


Level: Fifth
Range: 6"
Duration: 5 Rounds + 1/Round level or 5 Round
Ares Effect: One Creature
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 6 Segments
Saving Throw: None

This spell will allow the magic user to increase one or all of the attributes  of the recipient. There are two options for this spell. The effect will turn them into the perfect physical specimen  or grant them unearthly power in one aspect.

The caster will have two options with the casting of this spell. The first  will grant transform the recipient so that they have the maximum human  potentials (18's) in all of their attributes. The other option will grant the  recipient god like power (25) in one attribute.

The first version of the affect described will have the longer duration. The  second will have a much shorter duration (the star that burns twice as bright  and all that). There is a cost to this though. If the former is used then  when the spell expires all attributes will temporarily be reduced by a -2. If  the latter is used the reduction will be a -6. The reduction will remain in  place until the recipient has had twelve hours of continuous rest.

The material component of this spell is a small vial of blood from some  either a titan or some extra-planar creature. The blood is not destroyed or  used up with the casting of this spell.

Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups  last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology  may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I  did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any  duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :)  Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If  anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in  advance and all I ask is proper credit.

No comments:

Popular Posts