"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Castle Falkenstein, Wizard Speak

Castle Falkenstein is one of the games I have picked up because I loved the idea, had heard great things about it and planned on playing it eventually. There is a line from the movie "The Way of the Gun" that I quote way to often in real life..."I think a plan is just a list of things that don't happen.". Sadly to say that is true with my want to play Castle Falkenstein.

The game to me seems to be one part Shadowrun and one part Space 1889 which are both games I like the idea of. The layout of the game is done as a diary of a real world game designer drawn into a magical realm. The blog name is Quag Keep right so I think that works for me. I can't imagine why I have not played this game other than I just don't have time to play anymore.

Castle Falkenstein won the 1994 Origins Award for Best Gaming Rules. The idea of switching to cards instead of dice at first seems a little bit like a gimmick but in the end you can see it adds to the flavor of the game from what I have heard. Never having played it I can't speak to that. The use of cards could make it easier to play in non standard locales and you also don't have the sound of dice being rolled all the time.

The one thing that is considered a plus in many peoples eyes is that might be a detractor for me is the fact that it is set in Europe and not in England. I have nothing against Europe I am just an anglophile at heart. It is called the Victorian Age for a reason after all isn't it. This could add a flavor to the game that would help give it that just a little off feel that is sometimes helpful. Still the location would not be enough to make me to not want to play the game.

This is the original R. Talsorian Games version. There was a GURPS version of the game that was released in 2000. I have never had a chance to play that either but GURPS is usually pretty good at adapting systems so I am not sure how it would play.

If anyone has played this game I would love to hear about it and get some feedback. Then again it may just add to my want to play the game and that would lead to making plans to do so and I have told you how that seems to end up for me. Maybe I should make plans to not play the game and not win the lottery!


Spell:

Wizard Speak


Level: Second
Range: 6 " + 1"/Level
Duration: 5 Rounds + 1 Round/Level
Ares Effect: One Creature
Components: S
Casting Time: 2 Segments
Saving Throw: Special

By means of this spell the magic user assumes control over what the victim of  the spell is saying. The voice will be that of the victim and will be in the  language that is native to the victim or the common tongue based on the  casters desire.

The caster will be mouthing the words that are said while the victim is  speaking them. The victim must be within the range of the spell while this is occurring though the caster does not have to remain in visual contact.

For the first  round the victim will not realize that what they are saying is  not what they mean to say. The affected individual will not be able to alter  the words they are saying in any way. They are not under any sort of control  so they can try to communicate in other ways but they will not be able to  alter or stop what is being said.

The victim is entitled to a saving throw. If the save is successful then the  spell still takes effect but the words the caster are saying will be  gibberish. 

Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups  last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology  may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I  did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any  duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :)  Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If  anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in  advance and all I ask is proper credit
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Castle Falkenstein is one of my all-time favorite games. Check out this post here: http://www.risusmonkey.com/2011/04/f-is-for-falkenstein.html

I ran the game in its native rules as well as its Gurps translation. Both worked well. I loved the simplicity of the character representation and the magic system was brilliant. The card mechanic was a bit weird but it worked all right.

For me, I am most smitten by the setting. It is, perhaps, my #1 favorite setting that I didn't create.

Popular Posts