"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hex Mapping Sheets - Chessex, Shade

Shorter post today as I have some meetings way too early this morning. Over the years I find myself picking up strange character sheets and other game aids. I really for the life of me do not know when I got this or where I got it.

This is a pad of hex paper for mapping from Chessex. The copyright says 1989 but I am not sure if that is for the package itself or for the product. I would suspect this came in some bulk lot but I may have thought I needed to have this for some reason at some point. The price almost makes me think it is not that old though as I don't think $7.95 is a 1989 price for some hex paper but it could be. Since you can print hex paper online though I have not priced it for some time.

To talk a little about the paper seems appropriate though. The paper is double sided and the back side is blue which, based on the comments on the package, means it will not photocopy well. I like that it is hole punched and has spots to make notes as to where it is or other important information. I can see that if I were making a serious run at a published game world this sort of product would be useful.


Spell:

Shade


Level: Fifth
Range: None
Duration: Special
Ares Effect: Caster
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 Round
Saving Throw: None

By means of this spell the caster causes themselves to coexist between the planes. They will exist on both the Prime Material Plane and the Ethereal plane though they exist primarily on the Ethereal plane.

Existing on both planes will have a number of effects for the caster on the Prime Material Plane. They will become almost undetectable without special abilities or senses. In game terms this means that the caster, unless be looked for, can walk through a crowded room with 90% chance of being undetected. They will be perceived as a wisp of smoke or a figment of imagination.

The caster will not be able to interact with the "real world" as it were though. This means they can not perform even the simplest of tasks like opening a door. They will not be affected by gravity which will allow them to walk across water or other liquids, even lava, with no effect. They can also for lack of a better term fly across open chasms and the like though they can not change elevation.

On the ethereal plane the caster does not really exist and can not tell what is going on there. They do have an effect on the flow of that plane and there is a 5% chance per turn that something there will take notice and act accordingly. This will occur by them following the caster back to the prime material once the spell ends.

The spell will remain in effect until the caster wills it to end though it can be ended in other ways. The caster if detected can be affected by attack means that will normally affect creatures on the ethereal plane. Should the caster have a Dispel Magic cast on them the caster will have a 50/50 chance as to what plane they will end up on. Should they end up on the ethereal plane they will find themselves with no idea where they actually are will have to find a means back.

Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :) Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in advance and all I ask is proper credit.

No comments:

Popular Posts