"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

CoC - Beyond the Montains of Madness


I there needed to be an official benchmark for well written modules/campaigns this would most likely be on the shortlist. Long before "big books" became the thing to put out this baby was there. It clocks in at 440 pages and includes enough gaming material to keep a party busy for about as long as a real Antarctic expedition might take.

Though "At the Mountains of Madness" is not my favorite Lovecraft story this module ranks among my favorite Call of Cthulhu modules. Also let me say that "not my favorite Lovecraft" does not mean to take too much away from the story itself. For a long time this was a hard book to get but it was recently reprinted if I am not mistaken which makes it less hard to find but I am not sure if the cost has dropped to a reasonable level yet. If you get a chance to experience this adventure do yourself a favor and make it happen.

"An epic Antarctic campaign and sourcebook for 1930s Call of Cthulhu.

Beyond the Mountains of Madness continues the story begun in H.P. Lovecraft's novel "At the Mountains of Madness". It is the tale of the Starkweather-Moore Expedition of 1933 which bravely - and foolishly - seeks to finish what the Miskatonic University Antarctic Expedition began three years before.
The massive book consists of the following:
  • The adventure itself, in seventeen chapters
  • Seven appendices, discussing timelines, Antarctic exploration background, logistics, vehicles and more
  • Handouts and maps"

2 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

one of my personal favorites!

Jason Zavoda said...


I'm jealous. Didn't know they reprinted it, but I've always wanted to get a copy and the high prices have always put me off.

The story is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories. He knew how to take something that could be ruined by science fiction mundanity (which was a failing of Arthur C. Clarke) and make it occult and frightening.

By the way, I'm noy a Robot

Popular Posts