"Go to the sign of Harvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Friday, April 29, 2011

Y - Yin-Sloth, Young, Yeomen, Yergler's

I know that the Palladium game system does not sit well with many gamers and I am not going to try and defend it except in that it does have a wealth of source material of which most is fairly well done. The Yin-Sloth Jungles supplement fits into that category nicely. It provides the GM with information on the native inhabitants, the environmental and climatological perils of a jungle setting. It also provides those playing the actual game a number of different O.C.C.s for the players. Even the "character classes" and game specific items could be adapted fairly easily. In addition there is the ever present selection of maps that can be ripped off for any purpose. I would say why not give the game system a chance if you have not and if nothing else you can have some source material to borrow from.

Movie:

Young Guns may not be the best western out there but it is far from the worst. It should more than serve as inspiration for the GM running a Boot Hill, Eights & Aces or other Gunslinger/Western based game. It features an all star cast some of which would fade into relative oblivion and others that would become quite famous and then even caricatures of themselves and the roles they play. I will leave it up to the gentle reader to decide which cast member did that (Tiger Blood). The movie also gives a pseudo history lesson though nowhere near accurate enough to pass as one. In the end it is also an enjoyable enough story and overall movie. If you want a lighter more modern take on the Western start here and then when in the depth of the campaign check out Unforgiven, Tombstone, True Grit, Pale Rider and The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Plot:

Yeomen arrive in town in short advance of a large caravan and a fairly large entourage of what would appear to be court hanger ons. Thee group proceeds to pitch camp on just the outskirts of town among which are four or five large tents. There are those in the group that need to stay in town and eventually will find there way into the local tavern where the player characters are taking their evening repast. The locals are of course all abuzz about having such a different level of visitor in their town. The visitors in the tavern.inn will have no lack of people pestering them and buying them drinks. If the players watch close they will see that they are not the only ones watching an not interacting though. The players might not want to try and figure out who the hoopla is for but they might have to. It couldn't be the soon to be princess on way to her pending nuptials could it or is it just someone on way to the event? And if so who were the people so interested about them in the tavern?

Magic:

Yergler's Haversack is what most would call a utilitarian magic item that most would not get excited about. The Haversack will be found with a collection of food and beverage. There will be enough in the Haversack to feed 3-7 people. The magic of the Haversack will cause it to refresh each day with food and beverages every morning. The food and beverages that appear will be something very palatable to the owner and if they care to experiment they will discern that what appears is something they had thought  during the previous day. Yergler created these so that parties exploring and searching for things for him did not have to carry large stores of food and it ended up being cheaper for him. The DM can decide exactly who Yergler was and what he had people hunting for. Fully 90% of the Haversacks found will be made of wool or similar materials that sacks would be made of or even leather in some cases. The remaining 10% will be made of material of higher quality and perhaps even rare monster hides. These Haversacks will always have enough food and beverages for seven people, will be of a higher quality as if for those of a refined pallet and it will weigh only one pound regardless of content where the others will weigh what would be expected. Apparently Yergler sometimes went adventuring himself!

No comments:

Popular Posts