"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Friday, August 19, 2011

Farscape - AEG, Summon Companions

For someone who doesn't read hard science fiction anymore I still seem to like the  games and TV shows. I think if there were more fantasy on TV then that  would not be the case. All that aside one of the shows I saw two or three  episodes of once was Farscape. Almost immediately I was caught up in the  quality of the show. I even went to the extent of recording every episode on VHS at one point  but never got the time to watch them all.

When I saw that they released a Farscape RPG back in 2002 I knew I wanted it  but I waited until I could find it used since I knew I would most likely  never play it. The book was released by AEG and was not a disappointment as  far as presentation. It is a big book being 320 pages long and it was done in  color and the production quality is very good. When you pick it up and look  it over you can not help but admire the job that was done putting it  together.

The concern is that it is yet another d20 based game. I know that the d20  system has made it easier for game manufacturers to release products. In some  cases these seem to work but in other cases it misses the mark. With Farscape  the material is good enough that it covers the fact that it misses the mark.  I love that the game is out there but I would love to see is if another  company could get the license and release it under its own system but keep  the quality of the AEG edition.

This is again one of those games that you see all the time in the  aftermarket. I don't see it so much in the used book stores. Apparently  either once you buy it you keep it or since I see it all the time on eBay  being sold as new I suspect that Farscape was not enough of a franchise to  have sold all the print run. This means you can get it cheap but for me it  ends up being a bad thing because unless it is taken on as a labor of love  there probably will never be a new Farscape role playing game.


Spell:

Summon Companions


Level: Fifth
Range: 100 yards/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Ares of Effect: Special
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: One Round
Saving Throw: None

When this spell is cast the magic user summons to them a number of their companions. The companions that are being summoned will sense that are to be pulled away and can resist this if desired. The companions will be called to a location that is safe for them to exist that is within 2" of the caster.

The companions that are summoned in addition to being within the range of the spell must be fully on the same plane as the caster. Beings that are out of phase will not be summoned. The summoned beings must be sentient beings who have an intelligence of 3 or higher. When summoned the beings will appear only with whatever gear is on their being when summoned.

The caster will be able to summon one companion plus an additional number based on their level. They can summon one additional companion for every five levels of experience. This is rounded up so at tenth level they could summon three companions and at eleventh the number would increase to four.

The material component of this spell is a personal item from each of the companions that are to be summoned. The items used must have been touched or in the possession of the companion to be summoned within twenty-four hours of the spell being cast.

Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :) Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in advance and all I ask is proper credit.

No comments:

Popular Posts