"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Assault on the Fane of Lolth, Cassandra's Mystical Armor

I do not know much about this or even how I came to posses it. I suspect it was included with something else I purchased on eBay. It is possible that I picked it up in some box set or other item I purchased used locally. I really can't recall when I got it. I was able to find information on it online though and have copied it below.

This adventure was released as a free promo for Game Day 2005. The adventure is designed for a group of 4th-level characters.

A Fane of Lolth, hidden under the city of Anserell, has reveled itself by attacking the local Temple of Pelor. The drow were defeated and chased back underground. Weakened by the attack the priests of Pelor have decided to hire adventurers to go underground and complete the job of clearing out the drow.

A very simple one-shot adventure meant to last no longer than a few hours.


I am glad to have it as it is a Greyhawk adventure and it deals with the Drow. I am just afraid that it may end up not being the Drow that I am used to.

It is packed away so I can't speak to the content. It is reported as being eight pages long so I would suspect it would have to be less than a dozen or so rooms. If anyone has a copy they have access to I would love to hear about your experience with it.


Spell:

Cassandra's Mystical Armor


Level: Second
Range: None
Duration: Special
Ares Effect: Caster
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 2 Segments
Saving Throw: None

When this spell is cast the magic user cloaks themselves in an invisible shield that will improve their base armor class. In addition to the armor class adjustment the mystical armor will also provide the caster with a level of damage mitigation.

The amount the spell will improve the base armor class of the caster is based on their level. The base armor class of the caster will improve by one factor for every two levels they posses rounded up. This means at third level the base armor class is adjusted by two and the same amount at fourth level. Magical bonuses from other items will still work though items that adjust the base will only be effective if the armor class provided is better than the spell.

The armor will provide protection for a limited period of time. The armor will last for a limited number points of damage. The number of points it can suffer is equal to the caster level times their intelligence. The armor created by a fifth level caster with a sixteen would last for eighty points of damage (5*16=80). Once the armor has suffered damage in excess of the amount it came into existence with the armor reduction fades.

The armor also provides a minor level of damage reduction to the caster. While the spell is in effect the caster will reduce any damage they suffer by ten percent rounded down.

Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :) Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in advance and all I ask is proper credit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you determine when Cassandra's Mystical Armor takes damage? Is it whenever the caster is hit or takes damage?

For the 10% damage reduction, so the caster has to take at least 10 points of damage before any of the damage is reduced, yes?

Wymarc said...

@seaofstarsrpg Great question. I did not write that into the description. Any damage the caster takes will count against the damage the armor can take.

The damage reduction works against all damage but they would only need to take six points. The damage reduction would be .6 which would round up to 1 do they would only take five points. If the damage had been four points there would not be any reduction. At five points I would suggest that be rounded up.

Joebing said...

This has to be one of the most sought-after modules of the era. Even the pdf pirates don't have it. Almost no one has a copy, and it's very rare they appear on eBay. It should have a full color battle map as well. The only piece I am missing from my complete 3.x era set.

Popular Posts