"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Faeries - Bastion Press
Faeries get a bad rap in my opinion. Even the cover of this book sends the idea that they are all the commercialized version of elves (before Peter Jackson gave us his interpretation of Legolas) that were made popular in cartoons and animated films. The stories of the Fey in cultures where they originated give us a much darker portrayal than the images that have made them popular. They were creatures not to be taken lightly and to deal with only if you had to and most times that would not end well for the even the best intentioned if they were not careful.
Other than the image on the cover I think this book does a fair job of trying to put them in a light more consistent with the legends that they sprang from. The book is a D20 offering so it has much of the overhead that comes with that in the way of prestige classes, feats and the like. If you are a 3.x player then these are at least average for offerings from that period. The book offers details on the lands of the Fey and background on the races that can be used in any game system as well as other material that taken into systems or settings. I think this is one of the better Bastion Press offerings I have read and am glad to have it in my collection.
Published: 2003
Pages: 128
Publisher Blurb:
Welcome to the Twilit Lands, where all is fey and faeries rule. This d20 guide to Faeries provides answers on the fair folk, the fey races and creatures more ancient than dragons and far more enigmatic than their sizes or shapes ever reveal. The secrets held by the fey far outstrip all the other races combined, and this book brings them right to players and Game Masters alike.
This supplement provides new rules and a new understanding of fey monsters as well as many new faeries for your d20 games. Players can learn more skills and spells, plus discover magical artifacts and secrets from the fey. Meet new monsters and fey legends that cross many worlds and cultures, from Old Man Winter to the Lady of the Lake. Best of all, the world of Faerie, a world as close as a dream and as magical as its denizens, comes alive with its legends and lore for the Game Masters and can easily be linked to all d20 worlds.
Labels:
3e,
Accessory,
Bastion Press,
D20,
DnD,
Races,
Setting,
Supplement
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
This is one of the better written D20 products i have ever has a chance to pick u[. The subject matter makes much of this possible but their...
-
This is a product by Chaosium that has been discontinued. This started as a French game released in 1992. It was translated into English ...
-
The Thunder Rift series is a line of modules that were designed to allow novice DMs and players to cut their teeth as it were. The line ha...
-
Codex of Erde is an offering from Troll Lord Games. It was released in 2001 under the D20 license for D&D 3.0. It is a campaign setti...
-
Agone is an RPG published by Multisim. They are a French company that published board and RPG games. Agone was originally released in 1999 a...
-
Flying Buffalo has given us two series of books that I would consider almost required DM material to own. The first of these is Grimtooth...
-
DDA1 Arena of Thyatis was released in 1990 and was labeled a low level module. Since this followed the other B series modules I always won...
-
GURPS allows the GM to run all most anything provided that they have the source material for it. Steve Jackson Games (SJG) has been good abo...
-
I had mentioned before that I tend to prefer my Cthulhu set in the period that the game was originally written for. Modern era Cthulh...
3 comments:
I know a lot of people will already be fans, but if anyone out there has missed it, terry Pratchett's book Lords and Ladies, does a damned fine job of showing faeries how they are supposed to be done.
The Goodman Games Complete Guide to Fey is also worth getting, if you don't have it already. I revised it a bit, and ad-mixed it with the Bastion Press book, when I was running my own 3.X mash-up.
@shortymonster I have not read that. I am not sure i have ever read an Pratchett (and I know I should have). I will be sure and pick it up. Do I need to read anything else before it (is it part of Discworld?)
@ravencrowking That is one of the Complete Guides I have still yet to pick up. I have found those to be good supplements across the board,
Post a Comment