GURPS though not the best system overall does what it is supposed to do. It is open enough to allow for any setting to be played under it. It might even be suggested that in today's litigious society that SJG could sue TSR/WotC for patent infringement with the idea of D20.The settings available under GURPS is nothing short of amazing. I have many but not all and I think at last count I had 59 different settings or World ideas and maybe half that again in supplements.
The one I am putting up today is Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld. For those not familiar with the story I can not recommend it enough. Do yourself a favor and do not watch either of the made for TV movies the ScyFy Channel released though. The premise is simple enough to start with...everyone who has ever lived wakes up on the planet after dying....but all at about the same time. It is a river ranging from a few hundred yards to maybe more than a mile wide in points. There is more too it than that and the story is the quest by a the protagonists to uncover the mystery and more than that. I won't spoil it more than I have. There were three books in the original series though I think one or may two more have been written. This world would pose a great collaborative fiction setting if allowed. The game is very good the books are great. Both deserve a place on your shelves.
Spell:
Mass Suggestion
Level: Sixth
Range: 6"
Duration: 6 Turns + 6 Turns/level
Ares Effect: 1 Creature per 2/levels
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 Round
Saving Throw: Negates
This spell is in all ways similar to the singular variety of the spell except for casting time, creatures affected, the addition of a somatic component and an additional material component. The somatic portion is the designation of the desired targets and the material component is a gem of no less than 100gp in value for each creature over the first that is to be affected. The gem is consumed with the casting of the spell.
Each creature that is targeted by the spell is entitled to an individual saving throw. This has the same limitations of the original spell with additions based on the targets affected. The first creature to make a save attempt makes so as per the standard spell. If they fail then the next target is at a -1 or if the first person saved then they are at a +1 and so on down the line.
Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups last, were all written up back in the 80's so the terminology may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :) Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in advance and all I ask is proper credit.
"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
This is one of the better written D20 products i have ever has a chance to pick u[. The subject matter makes much of this possible but their...
-
This is a product by Chaosium that has been discontinued. This started as a French game released in 1992. It was translated into English ...
-
Codex of Erde is an offering from Troll Lord Games. It was released in 2001 under the D20 license for D&D 3.0. It is a campaign setti...
-
The Thunder Rift series is a line of modules that were designed to allow novice DMs and players to cut their teeth as it were. The line ha...
-
GURPS allows the GM to run all most anything provided that they have the source material for it. Steve Jackson Games (SJG) has been good abo...
-
Agone is an RPG published by Multisim. They are a French company that published board and RPG games. Agone was originally released in 1999 a...
-
Flying Buffalo has given us two series of books that I would consider almost required DM material to own. The first of these is Grimtooth...
-
Prayers from the Faithful is the clerics answer to Pages from the Mages. Prayers from the Faithful add a slew of new clerical spells long lo...
-
The Bestiary portion of the Atlantean trilogy is another of the books that I have never sued for the system it was written for but it has...
1 comment:
I have very fond memories of Gurps Riverworld. I ran a short mini-campaign where I included short solo prelude to the various player characters where I promptly killed them and sent them to Riverworld. It was awesome. And a few years later, I killed a whole party with a nuclear weapon and sent them to Riverworld as well. Very cool stuff.
Post a Comment