MV-1 Midnight On Dagger Alley was the first in the new MV line of solo modules from TSR. The MV is Magic Viewer and it replaced the invisible ink pens that were even more aggravating than this idea. This was released in 1984 and comes in at 8 pages.
I am not a big fan of the solo adventure. If you are going to play the game solo then there are probably better things to do with your time. This is nothing more than a small pick your own path adventure. If you are going to spend money on this please instead pick up some of the Fighting Fantasy books. They are better written and last longer.
I will give the new line credit where credit is due though. The magic viewer (red cellophane) is much better than the ink used for earlier modules. This could at least be reused again and again....did I really just write that. This is also one of the few adventures I can think of that were designed for use by assassins (though monks and thieves were an option as well). The classes it was designed for do work better and perhaps best alone.
In the end I have this because I am a completist. I am not a fan of the idea of solo play having done it for a month while grounded in school I can say it is pretty boring. I did get to roll up some nice random dungeons. Buy this only if you really want it as I can't recommend it.
From the back of the module:
"As darkness presses into the narrow, muddy alleys of Goldstar, silent shadows slip out of hiding. Now is the hour for cutpurses and cutthroats to creep into the night to do their work. Would-be victims bar their doors and lie sleepless in their dingy hovels waiting for dawn.
your task sends you into this dismal, dangerous place after sundown. No moon lights your steps as you scurry past yowling cats in smoke, fog-filled alleys. Above you and beneath you lurk unseen encounters. Somewhere ahead in the despairing gloom lies your goal, if you can survive Midnight on Dagger Alley.
This module uses the 'Magic Viewer' (a red cellophane window) to obfuscate content for solo play."
Spell:
Begone
Level: Third
Range: 6"
Duration: 1 Turn/Level
Ares of Effect: One Creature
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 3 Segments
Saving Throw: None
When this spell is cast the magic user causes a single entity to turn around an leave the presence of the caster. The affected victim will think of nothing else but following the command to begone from the area of the caster.
The effect of this spell is not one that will cause the victim to run. They will simply turn and begin walking away at a normal pace. They will and can not be distracted by anything else. Trying to stop them from putting distance for the duration of the spell will cause them to become violent.
While the spell is in effect any attempt by the caster or the casters party to affect the individual will break the spell. The victim will otherwise be silent and do nothing but walk away from the caster. They will behave mindlessly with no communication. When the spells duration expires the fog will lift and they will stop moving but they will have no idea of why they are where they are, how they got there nor any memories of the caster or their group.
Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :) Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in advance and all I ask is proper credit.
"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
This is one of the better written D20 products i have ever has a chance to pick u[. The subject matter makes much of this possible but their...
-
This is a product by Chaosium that has been discontinued. This started as a French game released in 1992. It was translated into English ...
-
The Thunder Rift series is a line of modules that were designed to allow novice DMs and players to cut their teeth as it were. The line ha...
-
Codex of Erde is an offering from Troll Lord Games. It was released in 2001 under the D20 license for D&D 3.0. It is a campaign setti...
-
GURPS allows the GM to run all most anything provided that they have the source material for it. Steve Jackson Games (SJG) has been good abo...
-
Agone is an RPG published by Multisim. They are a French company that published board and RPG games. Agone was originally released in 1999 a...
-
Flying Buffalo has given us two series of books that I would consider almost required DM material to own. The first of these is Grimtooth...
-
Prayers from the Faithful is the clerics answer to Pages from the Mages. Prayers from the Faithful add a slew of new clerical spells long lo...
-
DDA1 Arena of Thyatis was released in 1990 and was labeled a low level module. Since this followed the other B series modules I always won...
1 comment:
I have the Solo Adventures for Fighter and Thief, now I need to get this one.
I think the Solo adventure is a good way to introduce a new player to the game. Give them some experience before they join a group.
But that's just my take on it.
Post a Comment